Legacy of Fire
Character Background and Traits
Something that has been important to me is having characters embedded into the on-going story of the campaign. As such, I am rewarding players who supply a well-detailed character background and continue to develop and tie this story with the campaign’s progression.
Upon successful completion of their character background, players can select one character trait. Please note the following conditions for maintaining this trait.
- The character background should contain the following elements
- What your character was, or whom he/she was involved in before the beginning of the campaign. This could include being a slave, desert nomad or a merchant prince’s son.
- An area, whether related to geography, religion, law and order, trade, nobility, military, etc. of special interest or note to your character
- An event that changed the course of your life. This need not lead on to your character joining Garavel in the first adventure, but it helps if it does
- Important NPCs that your character is connected to. These can be of your own creation.
- A link or reason as to why you have joined up with Garavel to reclaimed the ruined village of Kelmarane.
- The trait selected should be tied to your background. There should be some form of justification as to why you have these bonuses because of your background
- The trait’s bonuses may be taken away by the DM as part of a system of warnings to players who seek to derail the campaign or ruin the others’ enjoyment.
The following are a list of traits that you can you use for your characters. Players may not create their own traits and need follow the requirements as set out above.
The following are examples of character backgrounds that you can choose from. Please note, that they all need a more little work to properly customise for your character.
- Earning Your Freedom – You’ve been a slave your whole life, and have passed from master to master more times you can count. Some of those masters were cruel, others kindly. In all cases, you’ve yearned to be free. When your most recent master fell on hard times, he sold many of his slaves to the city government, and as luck would have it, a recent opportunity to earn your freedom has manifested. The Pactmasters of Osirion are looking to revitalize an old trade route to Gex, and a band of mercenaries and guards is gathering to go out and supplement forces already in place near the ruined village. You have been sent to take part in this mission under the watchful eyes of Garavel. If you succeed in retaking the village from the beasts that inhabit it, you have been promised your freedom. In any event, your time as a slave has made you more resistant to hardship. Choose one type of Saving Throw (for example, Reflex); you gain a +1 circumstance bonus on all saving throws of that type.
- Reclaiming your Roots -Your interest in the village of Kelmarane is more personal than most of others who are heading out to aid in the reclamation. You aren’t seeking revenge against gnolls, glory, money or anything else – to you, this is purely a matter of honour, as Kelmarane was where you were born. You were forced to flee the village when you were only a few years old – perhaps you found an old document that revealed the truth, or maybe you learnt the news from a relative. Both of your parents are now dead, and from what you’ve been able to piece together, they actually died in the village when whatever happened there happened. Now that you have started to uncover the truth, you are convinced that your heritage remains hidden in Kelmarane. Whether you wish to find out what really happened in Kelmarane that caused your parent’s death and the village to be completely abandoned or if you want rebuild the village in their honour is up to you. Either way you are highly motivated to complete the task and gain either a +2 circumstance bonus to Initiative checks
- Finding Haleen -You grew up an orphan on the streets of Osirion, and spent many years of childhood in the Nightstalls, the infamous Osirion underground market. Admit the depravity and wickedness inherent in the market place, one person kept you safe – Haleen. She could be your sister or merely a childhood companion, but whatever your relationship with her, she always cared for you and protected you. That is until recently when she suddenly disappeared. Several months passed with no lead until a mysterious note, a strange dream, the result of a back alley divination or the reported sighting of a women matching Haleen’s description has come to you placing her in the vicinity of Kelmarane. Eager to begin the search, you joined Garavel as soon as you heard he was recruiting mercenaries to assist in retaking the ruined village. As a result of your time with Haleen in the Nightstalls, you gained significant reputation amongst the criminals in the underground market and gain a 10% discount when buying items and a 10% increase when selling items in the Nightstalls.
- Missionary -You spent much of the last several years serving your faith, and the conviction and dedication to your church has impressed many. Perhaps you have donated much of your personal wealth or time serving the church, or you’re the child of a powerful or well-loved member of the church, or a foundling with a strange birthmark that bears more than a passing resemblance to your faith’s holy symbol. The faith has long supported you and you are eager to repay the church in some way. Setting up a new church in the reclaimed village of Kelmarane is an excellent way to expand upon the church and bring in more faithful. So you have joined Garavel with the hope of restoring the former Church of your Religion in Kelmarane. Your faith guides you and to represent this select any Strength, Dexterity or Constitution-based skill. You make checks with that skill using your Wisdom modifier instead of its normal ability score. This skill need not initially be a class skill for you, if it isn’t, it becomes a class skill for all classes you take.